1932 Ford Pick-up
Just started a new project. Client started this project, completed all the work so far, which is all quality work, but felt I would be good to team up and complete the frame and body.
The Owner extended the cab 6" behind the door. Looks factory. Riley Automotive built the extended frame for the build. The project is going to have a "patina" paint job with a retro look. The old flathead motor will be re-built and beefed up to 300hp using a 4" Mercury Crank, heads, and many other mods. Trans is a late model Barg-Warner 5 speed.
Got the motor installed and now we need to cut a recess in the firewall. Followed some of the original ribs on the firewall, made sure you could easily remove both heads and everything to service the engine. Took some 18ga steel and beat, stretched, shrunk, broke it to form a new panel for the recess.
Welded it to the firewall, ground and finished sanded it.
The floor system is removable in two sections for access to the transmission and clutch.
We were able to make room for the stock fuel pump as well. Started working on the exhaust system. The driver side header fit great, cleared everything, but had to modify the passenger header to clear the frame, guess the flatheads were not used in this year frame, narrower than later years.
The rear banjo differential was sent out to be re-built and modified to hold up to 300hp. A shop in Idaho, Hot Rod Works, narrowed the rear, welded on flanges to accept Ford 9" rear brake drums, have splined axles, and an open yoke. The work they did was very nice.
Seems no one makes a Panhard Bar kit, or mount, for a custom banjo setup, so we got a kit that was close and I made a bracket from 1/4" steel. Clears all the bed and now I can finish running the exhaust.
The exhaust will have the correct sound for a flat head motor and the theme of the build. Fabricated a removable floor to make servicing the motor/trans easier and possible. Raised it up enough to clear the transmission and bell housing, that way we did not need a tunnel on the cramped floor. Works great and looks good.
Since the frame was stretched 6", and it is tapered from front to rear, I had to get creative blending the skirts and running boards to the fender. Fabricated an extension with a lip to match the stock running board.
All fit up. The owner is taking over from here. It is going to get a Faux-tina paint job and a retro interior. This will be one cool ride when it is done.